To exchange ideas and promote new collaborations, CEBC faculty, staff and students actively participated in prestigious national and international conferences this June, not only as presenters but as meeting organizers and award winners.
Five CEBC researchers attended the 21st International Symposium on Chemical Reaction Engineering (ISCRE) on June 13-16 in Philadelphia. Professor Bala Subramaniam, CEBC Director, gave a plenary lecture while Professor R.V. Chaudhari co-chaired a session on bio-derived chemicals and fuels. In addition, a CEBC graduate student and two postdoctoral researchers gave oral presentations.
Madhav Ghanta, a doctoral student at CEBC, was presented the Kenneth G. Hancock Memorial Award in Green Chemistry at the EPA Presidential Green Chemistry Challenge awards ceremony on June 21 in Washington D.C.
The award ceremony was held in conjunction with the 14th annual Green Chemistry and Engineering Conference. Two CEBC graduate students, Arely Torres and Shirley Xie, won travel scholarships to attend the meeting. In addition, the center’s education and outreach efforts were highlighted in an oral presentation by Dr. Claudia Bode, CEBC Education Director.
Finally, Professor Laurence Weatherly, Chair of the KU Energy Council and CEBC researcher, co-organized the American Institute of Chemical Engineers (AIChE) 2010 Process Development Symposium on June 27-30 in Lake Ozark, MO. Weatherly and Chaudhari both chaired sessions. Subramaniam gave an invited presentation.
21st International Symposium on Chemical Reaction Engineering (ISCRE), June 13-16, Philadelphia, PA:
- Bala Subramaniam, plenary lecture titled “Exploiting the Synergies between Catalysis and Neoteric Solvents for Sustainable CRE: Opportunities and Challenge.”
- Arely Torres, oral presentation titled “Kinetic Modeling of Aqueous Phase Glycerol Hydrogenolysis in a Batch Slurry Reactor.”
- Jing Fang, oral presentation titled “Continuous Homogeneous Hydroformylation with Nanofiltration for Retention of Soluble Polymer Supported Rhodium Catalyst Complexes.”
- Jack Ford, oral presentation titled “Supercritical Deoxygenation of Pyrolysis Bio-Oil Compounds.”
14th Annual Green Chemistry and Engineering Conference, June 21-23, Washington D.C.:
- Claudia Bode, oral presentation titled "Green chemistry and engineering training at the Center for Environmentally Beneficial Catalysis."
- Madhav Ghanta, poster presentation titled "A Greener Process Concept for Making Ethylene Oxide."
American Institute of Chemical Engineers (AIChE) 2010 Process Development Symposium, June 27-30, Lake Ozark, MO:
- Bala Subramaniam, oral presentation titled “Sustainable Catalysis with Gas-Expanded Liquids.”