Safety Training Checklist
Safety is the first priority in CEBC laboratories. You should be completely familiar with the safety policies and procedures of the University and CEBC before working in the lab. Experienced researchers must resist complacency and refresh their training periodically. If you ever have questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to ask your colleagues/mentor for assistance or guidance, or contact Chris Lyon. Safety is an ongoing process and is essential to a long and healthy R&D career.
Training for new researchers:
- Read, understand, and follow the CEBC Laboratory Safety Manual (pdf)
- Complete required safety training modules by following these instructions (pdf) and email the completion certificates to Nancy Crisp (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Print Acknowledgement form (doc) sign it and give to the laboratory director Fenghui Niu (email@example.com)
- Attend monthly safety meetings (hosted by CEBC and the Departments of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering)
- Read the procedure for "near-miss" reporting (pdf) and report near-misses online
- Discuss with your faculty supervisor and the Laboratory Director any additional experiment-specific or equipment-specific training needed prior to beginning work.
Ongoing training for continuing researchers:
- Always discuss standard operating procedures (SOP) with your faculty supervisor before attempting any new experiment. Click here for a SOP template (doc).
- Reread, understand, and follow the CEBC Laboratory Safety Manual (pdf) at least twice a year, or whenever revisions are issued.
- Repeat online safety training each year; see these instructions (pdf)
- Attend safety meetings and any other mandatory CEBC safety sessions
- Attend other training seminars each year (typically hosted by the Chemistry and Chemical Engineering departments at the start of fall and spring semesters)
- Report near-misses online as needed
- Print Acknowledgement form (doc) sign it and give to the laboratory director Fenghui Niu (firstname.lastname@example.org) once every 12 months